In case you’re looking for a bit of inspiration for gifts and entertaining this holiday season, check out our Hatching for the Holidays Guide below. It’s full of fun ways to make more and buy less.
Gifts to Make
4 easy things to make and share.
- Elderberry syrup – learn how from
the Hatch Lab online class and make it on your own or with our maker kit.
- Bee Well Honey – use this recipe from The Little Herbal to make a simple herb-infused honey.
- Kissing Salve – a special beef-tallow based recipe from the ladies at ie&Y.
- Pickled Beets – learn how from MM Local’s online class.
Food and Drinks to Share
You might want to make some of the delicious items below, based on recipes from artisans, farmers, and herbalists we trust.
- Kimchi from Mara and Willow of Ozuké—learn from Hatch Lab’s online class and step-by-step guide and use their proprietary New Mexico organic spice blend to ensure success.
- Roasted Chicken Stock from Christine of Fresh Thymes Eatery, just in case you’re not sure what to do with all them bones.
- Lemon Ricotta from Michael Montgomery, chef and goat farmer at Mountain Flower Urban Goat Dairy.
- Hop Rose Soda Syrup from Dan and Chris of Portland Soda Works.
Books to Gift
We’ve asked our partners to share the names of their favorite books about gardening, herbalism, fermentation, and pickling.
- The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food, by Steve Solomon and Erica Reinheimer
- How to Grow More Vegetables, Eighth Edition, by John Jeavons
Herbalism helpers from Rebecca of Rebecca’s Herbal Apothecary & Supply
- Medicine-Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual, by James Green
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health, by Rosemary Gladstar
Fermentation faves from Willow and Mara of Ozuké
- Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods, by Sandor Ellix Katz
- Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig
Pickling picks from Ben at MM Local
- Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods, by Eugenia Bone
- The Joy of Pickling: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market, by Linda Ziedrich
Author: Mara Rose
Editor: Maggie Wells
Photo: Christina Kiffney & Mara Rose